Brooklyn born composer Ashely Paul creates completely original constellations of experimental music, designed to shock, haunt and provoke.
Composing this week’s slumber mix session, blending a select edit of contemporary and classical music, Ashely Paul provides the dreamy soundtrack to your end of week airplay. Get the 411 on this extraordinary talent and read up on our essential guide to Ashley below.
- Ashley is signed to influential and avant-garde imprint REL.
- Ashely creates her sound using an array of instruments including saxophone, clarinet, voice, guitar, bells and percussion while experimenting with techniques and tempos to conjure unusual melodies that challenge and transfix.
- Ashely’s solo albums have all received high praise being selected as “Album of the Column” in The Wire, number one on Byron Coley and Thurston Moore’s “Tongue Top Ten” in Arthur Magazine and included on NPR’s All Songs Considered “Best of 2010”.
- Ashely collaborated with multi-instrumentalist Eli Keszler’s on his album Catching Net 2CD, released last year via PAN. She also plays regularly alongside Eli as part of Aster and works with multi-instrumentalist Anthony Coleman as a contributing member of his Damaged Quartet.
- Ashley and Eli are married.
- Ashly received a Masters of Music from New England Conservatory in 2007.
- Ashley’s next album ‘Line The Clouds’ is due out 25th March.
- Ashley will be playing in London at Cafe Oto on 20th April.
Text: Milly McMahon
Images: Courtesy of Ashley Paul