Gritty beats and succinct lyrics, Ojay Morgan is the Brooklyn based MC channelling his pure-punk-rage into subtly methodical hip-hop-house under the moniker of Zebra Katz.
Click images to enlarge.
Becoming fashion’s flavour of the month following Rick Owens’ A/W 12 show in Paris, for which Zebra Katz’ almost X-rated ‘Ima Read‘ was played for the full 12-minute duration of the show, Ojay and his super-swag side-kick Njena Redd Foxx have broken onto the music scene and are taking you to college. On 30th June, Katz and Njena pulled off a one time only gig in an undisclosed Dalston location, hosted by i-D contributor Matthew Stone. With Katz styled by Carri Cassette Playa and Njena writhing among the wires in a skimpy gold Pam Hogg number, the show was a visceral mash up of voguing and freestyling with an undertone of ball culture. The night included DJ sets from Matthew Stone and Mischa Mafia (Shuuush Urself) and was held in association with Patron and London Collective.
i-D online presents the insi-De scoop on everything Zebra and Kat like, while Mr Wize shows us his cinema skills in a dancefloor film.
1. Zebra Katz produced ‘Ima Read’ five years ago during college.
2. Njena Reddd Foxxx and Zebra Katz met through a mutual friend in Brooklyn.
3. Zebra Katz and Njena Reddd Foxxx will join Azealia Banks on her UK tour this fall.
4. It’s only Zebra “F*cking” Katz if you nasty.
5. The next music video from Zebra Katz will be W8WTF.
6. The Ima Read Foundation has passed its $500 National Reading Day goal.
7. The name Zebra Katz came from off the top of the Zebra’s head.
8. Dorian Corey said “Shade came from Reading, Reading came first”
9. Some people still don’t know what Reading is.
10. ZFK + NRF will continue to take that b*tch to college.