He said yes! The brilliant Mark Lebon joins the lineup of guest speakers at i-D’s Inspirational Men’s Dinner.
When the prospect of Mark Lebon shooting with his friend Judy Blame for i-D’s The Lights, Camera, Action Issue came up, everyone got very excited. Because the pictures are guaranteed. It’s like asking God and Gandhi to write a tweet about peace. On working with Judy for the shoot, Mark said, “I could either really happily retire having done this session, or probably be even happier to continue being a photographer”. Mark started shooting for i-D in the early 80s, starting his cover reign with that unbelievable shot of Madonna when she looked like Boy George for The seXsense Issue in 1984, her first ever magazine cover. Ahead of his talk on Saturday, i-D online present 10 things you won’t know about Mark Lebon unless you know him.
1. Mark’s first camera was a Super 8.
2. Mark studied at West Surrey College of Art and Design, and North East London Polytechnic.
3. Mark was a key player in defining the Buffalo aesthetic, spearheaded by Ray Petri in the 80s.
4. Mark has two sons, Frank and Tyrone. Tyrone is a photographer and filmmaker and a regular contributor to i-D.
5. Mark doesn’t enjoy being busy at work.
6. Mark is a fashion photographer lecturer at London College of Fashion.
7. Mark has shot for magazines including The Face, Arena, Blitz, British Vogue, Tempo, Harper’s and Queen.
8. Mark founded Crunch Productions Ltd in the 80s, specializing in fashion, music, broadcasting and advertising.
9. Mark ran a film club when he was young.
10. Mark once described himself as “an out of control freak rather than a control freak”.
Text: Sarah Raphael
Images from top: The seXsense Issue, April 1984, photography Mark Lebon/ The Madness Issue, March 1986, photography Mark Lebon, styling Judy Blame/ Mark Lebon portrait/ The Lights, Camera, Action Issue, Summer 2012, photography Mark Lebon, styling Judy Blame.